Laurel and Hardy Statue | Ulverston Town Council
Ulverston Town Council
Laurel and Hardy Statue
In 2010 the Laurel and Hardy statue was installed in County Square, Ulverston as part of the regeneration of County Square. The statue was commissioned and paid for the Sons of the Desert, the Laurel and Hardy Fan Club and was designed and sculpted by Graham Ibbesson. The statue is a 10% larger than life bronze sculpture showing the famous duo.
Stan Laurel was born in Ulverston on June 16, 1890. The statue depicts him with his partner Oliver Hardy and the famous dog which appeared in many films - Laughing Gravy.
The statue stands outside of the Coronation Hall, where in 1947 Stan and Ollie appeared on the balcony. The town council owns the statue, and has it expertly cleaned twice a year.